Wednesday, June 19, 2013

South Loops's New Take On Tapas

It was Friday night and I had nothing to do.  I knew I wanted to go into the city, but I wasn't quite sure where.  I headed toward the West Loop hoping I'd find somewhere interesting to plant myself.  Upon arriving, it occurred to me the Randolph Street Festival was underway...no parking...bummer!  I love the Randolph Street Festival, but I wanted to do something different, ...try something new. So, I began driving South on Halsted and veered over to State Street.  As I passed Roosevelt Road, I noticed a sign that read "Tapas", a word that will make me stop cold in my tracks. I simply LOVE tapas.

I slowed down and took a quick peek into the window.  It look like a really nice, contemporary tapas restaurant. So, I whipped a U-turn and parked.  Upon entering, the restaurant's ambience had a warm and inviting feel, very eclectic decor with splashes of eye-popping color, but not overdone.  Since I was flying solo, I decided to take a seat at the wrap-around bar.  Looking around, I noticed the tables were positioned so you'd have room to move around and you didn't feel as if you were listening to your next door neighbor's conversation.  The restrooms were clean, stalls stocked with paper and the sinks did not have that disgusting collection of hand-dripped water on the sinktop...very well attended.  The menu offering were more of a comtemporary twist to your traditional tapas. 

 
I ordered the Queso de Cabra, a warm baked tapas with goat cheese, tomato confit and garlic bread.  It was devine.  For wine, I ordered a glass of the Spanish Quarter and it was exactly as the menu described -   Cabernet Sauvignon, Tempranillo, full-bodied, but silky with notes of cherry, blackberry and spice. If I hadn't been driving, I would have ordered the entire bottle. However, I settled for one glass...correction..1-1/2 glass - the wonderful bartender topped me off after drinking only half a glass.  Thank you!

Other Details: Sunday Brunch 10:30 am - 3:00 pm, Patio Seating (Weather Permitting), Valet Parking Available and Reservations Accepted

As you know, I don't give star ratings, only thumbs up or down (in the tradition of Siskel & Ebert).  Tapas Valencia is fantastic for date-night or just hanging with friends after work.  I think this may be our next iShop Chicago member event spot!  Two Thumbs Up!

VISIT TAPAS VALENCIA

Join us for our next iShop Chicago social event!  Simply join and follow this blog to receive alerts.



No comments:

Post a Comment