Friday, June 21, 2013

Head Over to Andersonville for Crepes & Turkish Coffee

 
I have never been a fan of crepes.  Well, let me be fair.  The mention of  the word 'crepe' conjures memories of me receiving less than stellar reviews of my horribly prepared crepes in culinary school.  For some reason I simply could not get the hang of making them and my instructor constantly reminded me of that fact.  It wasn't until my sister and I visited Bistro 110 that I learned to really enjoy and appreciate the preparation of a great crepe. 




A few years ago, I was canvassing the area along North Clark Street, when I happened to see a sign which read, Icosium Kafe, on the corner of Clark & Foster, so I went inside to check things out.

I reviewed the menu and the Icosium Crepe immediately caught my attention, so I ordered it. I wasn't entirely sure if the ingredients - roasted peppers, fresh basil, goat cheese, caramelized onion, fresh roma tomatoes, pine nuts, roasted garlic,  baby spinach - would marry well, but I took my chances.  Once the server brought the meal to my table, I dove right in.  The flavors simply burst in my mouth.  It was the perfect combination of salt, sweet, earthy and nutty.  I was completely taken by surprise. 
 
I also enjoy herbal and aromatic teas, so I ordered a cup of mint tea. The mint tea, prepared with real leaves, was served in a lovely decorative silver tea pot with a side of honey to sweeten the deal.

 
If you're a person drawn to restaurants with a modern or contemporary feel, this is not that place.  It's truly the quintessential neighborhood café serving Middle Eastern fare. No frills, no fancy fixtures...it is what it is.   One draw back - the word on the street is their credit card machine frequently breaks down, as was the case when I visited, so be prepared to bring cash. 

I truly enjoyed my meal, the service was spotty, but I plan on returning to try something else.  I give them 1.5 thumbs, if that's possible.

Other Details: Icosium Kafe offers Turkish coffee, breakfast, entrée, dessert and create-your-own crepes.

REVIEW ICOSIUM KAFE'S MENU

iShop Chicago is dedicated to shining a spotlight on Chicago's restaurants, shops and venues. Our private events offer iShop Chicago members on-location shopping opportunities. Our members enjoy socializing, networking and shopping with Chicago area retailers, private-label and national brands across several shopping categories. All private sales events are designed by iShop Chicago event planners to offer exclusive 1-day-only deals and discounts.

Membership is FREE! Just follow our iShop Chicago blog

No comments:

Post a Comment