Monday, June 24, 2013

Garfield Park Conservatory: Chicago's Best Kept Secret Is Out

I was amazed to discover many Chicagoans  have never visited the Garfield Park Conservatory.  If this is you, let me give you three reasons to visit. To start, the Conservatory is only a 15-minute drive from downtown Chicago, the flora and fauna is absolutely breathtaking and best of all, admission is free!  Yep, FREE!  Still not convinced? Ok, let me share my personal experience.  I've known about the Conservatory for many years, but wasn't sure what to expect.  One day I said to my 13-year-old, "let's visit the Garfield Park Conservatory today".  He gave me the side-eye and reluctantly agreed. I packed a light lunch for us and headed to the venue.  When we arrived, I was very happy to know there was plenty of free parking available on Central Park Avenue and in the adjacent parking lot. 

Upon entering the indoor botanical garden, my mouth hit the floor - slight exaggeration, but you get my point.  My first thought - what has taken me so long to visit?  Not only had I deprived myself of this extraordinarily beautiful garden, but I've deprived my children as well.   My first reaction - I immediately felt a sense of peace and serenity in this lush, green and beautiful haven.

The temperature inside the gardens is a bit warm and humid, as it mimics the tropics. There are faux waterfalls, streams and walkways which guides you through the entire garden.  There are also benches placed throughout the garden which allows you to take in all of its beauty.  However, it doesn't stop there.  The Conservatory offers an outdoor public garden and Demonstration Garden, a beautiful city-lot-sized working garden, to learn about community and organic gardening in Chicago.
 
Additionally, if you're planning a social gathering or special event, you couldn't ask for a more scenic backdrop for entertaining and photo-taking.

If that's not enough, here's the biggest sell.  As you know, Chicago winters can be brutal and downright depressing. A planned visit to the Garfield Park Conservatory can help rid you and your family of wintertime blues. Convinced? I hope so.  Please return to this blog page and share your experience. I'd love to hear about it.

Click on the link below to discover the beauty and wonder of Garfield Park Conservatory.

Other Details: Café and Gift Shop on Site, Kids Play Area, Volunteer Opportunities
 
 
 

VISIT GARFIELD PARK CONSERVATORY


No comments:

Post a Comment