Monday, July 1, 2013

Sawtooth Vietnemese Fare


I've visited Sawtooth at least a half dozen times before I'd actually had an actual meal there.  Each visit was attached to a special event, with cocktails and simple nibbles served.   Anyway, last week I was invited to have dinner at Sawtooth, actually it was a date, which I was very excited about - the date and restaurant choice, that is.

First, I had always been curious about the name Sawtooth,  until I visited the website. Sawtooth Restaurant takes its name from the culantro herb, Ngò Gai also known as sawtooth, named for its long, slender, serrated leaves. This herb is commonly used in Vietnamese cooking due to its wonderful fragrance and taste. Ok, now I get it...on to the Sawtooth experience.

Upon arrival, the hostess greeted me a warm smile and was very accommodating...hovering a little more than I'd like, but no harm. I appreciated her attentiveness, she was actually very sweet.  We were seated in the outdoor lounge area.  What I enjoyed most about the lounge is the positioning of the tables, which are very small, but intimate and perfect for a date night.


We kicked off the evening by ordering a bottle of  “Clos Rousseau,” Cotes de Beanue, (Cabernet), followed by a few appetizers - "Banh Xeo", a Saigon-style crepe (shrimp, bean sprouts, mint leaves and iceberg lettuce) and Wild King Salmon Rolls (Salmon, Jicama, carrots, ginger and glass noodles).  I must say, although flavorful, eating the crepe was a bit messy. The server told me I should actually hand roll the contents into my lettuce leaf and eat by hand.  However, it was a first date and I didn't want to misstep by dripping food on myself, so I knife and forked it as best I could. Next, I tried the Salmon Rolls....can you say AMAZING?  I found myself saying, "mmmm, these are so good!...repreatedly. I wish I could describe the flavors, but I can't and that's very unusual for me.  I suggest you try them and please return to this blog to share your experience.

For my entrée, I kept to the small plates, ordering Sugarcane Shrimp, while my date ordered the Lemongrass Chicken - we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. 


 

Lately, I've been seeing lots restaurants turning into after-hours "night clubs".  I tend to frown at the idea of pushing back tables, hiring DJs and installing sidewalk velvet ropes at fine dining establishments. For me, it's a bit unsettling to see a great restaurant go through an identity crisis.  I would love to see Sawtooth focus more on its dining service, as opposed to its attempt at becoming a nightlife venue.

Sawtooth is a great addition to the west loop area, with it contemporary Asian appeal, private indoor dining, outdoor lounge area and delectable menu offerings.  I've seen several west loop restaurants close their doors over the past two years, but Sawtooth may actually have some staying power (knock on wood!).  The restaurant was a bit slow for a Thursday night, but I soon realized people were most likely watching the NBA finals.

All in all, the food, the experience and the date was fantastic!  At some point I will certainly return to try other items. Two Thumbs Up For Sawtooth!

OTHER DETAILS: Free street parking, valet parking, outdoor and private dining, private events

VISIT SAWTOOTH

No comments:

Post a Comment